Katy Perry (Katheryn Elizabeth Hudson) was born on October 25, 1984 in Santa Barbara, California to an ultra conservative Christian family. As the daughter of two pastors, she was encouraged as a child to sing in churches, restaurants, and at family functions to showcase her aptitude in Christian and Gospel music. At the age of fifteen, Perry left her hometown and moved to Nashville, where she was signed by Steve Thomas and Jennifer Knapp of Red Hill Records to release her self-titled debut album, Katy Hudson. The album, which was released in 2001, is a compilation of Christian songs.
When Katy was seventeen she met Glenn Ballard, the man responsible for the success of Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill. As a fan Morissette, Katy embraced the opportunity to work with Ballard, who mentored the singer for several years. In 2004, she became a part of The Matrix production team, recording songs with Ballard for an album that was due to be released in 2005. Although the album was never heard by the public, Katy caught the attention of Blender Magazine, who dubbed her “The Next Big Thing!” and Teen People, who noted that she was the “One to Watch.”
In addition to the attention she received in the press, Katy caught the eye of Jason Flom, Virgin Records CEO who was in charge of Capitol Music Group. She was signed by the label in 2007, and released her debut single UR So Gay, which she offered as a free download on her MySpace page. The subsequent release of I Kissed a Girl became her breakthrough single, and topped the charts in 20 countries.
– One of The Boys was released on June 17, 2008 and peaked in the top ten in America.
– Katy was part of the Warped Tour in 2008, ultimately headlining in the Hello Katy Tour in 2009.
– She has been nominated for many awards, including a Grammy, an MTV Video Music Award, and a Brit Award. In 2009, she won an NRJ Music Award for International Album of the Year, and a People’s Choice Award for Favorite Pop Song.
Katy Perry fun facts
– Katy has openly stated that her parents forbade her from listening to what they called “secular music” as a child.
– She credits The Beach Boys, Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Queen, and Heart, amongst others, as having influence on her musically.
– Before her career sky-rocketed, Katy was the opening act for such artists as Mika, Puffy AmiYumi, and The Starting.
– Perry is Katy’s mother’s maiden name
Joshua writes articles about music and performers. Find out more about Katy Perry and book Katy Perry tickets at tickets hub.